How many times have you heard in church to share the Gospel with those around you? You can do just that with your own tract ministry, sharing the Gospel with the general public. Sounds scary, but it actually is something anyone can do. Here are some guidelines:
- Find a public area where there is some foot traffic. A main street in a shopping area is great.
- Obtain some Bible tracts that are straight-forward with the message of Salvation. Campus Crusade (now CRU) has a tract called “Four Spiritual Laws”. Personally, one of my favorites is the “New Birth” tract from Bible Tracts Inc. Also, I have a free tract that you can print out on your home computer at my Free Bible Tract page. There are many others as well. You may order these online or find them at a local Christian bookstore. Also, print out a half-sheet with 3-5 Bible-based churches in your area with address, phone, and time of service. Slip one folded sheet in each tract you give out.
- Either bookmark your Bible or bring a sheet with key scripture verses so that you have them handy. Some verses I bring along are given below. Also, see Salvation Questions – you might want to print this out.
- Pick out a day where the weather is nice. I call it “Good Fishing Weather”. People do not want to chat with you in freezing rain, if they are out at all.
- To start out, I would recommend that you go out during daylight hours. If you are out in the midday in a public place, you can safely go out alone. If you go out at night, go out earlier (before 10PM) and find at least one other person to join you.
- When you get to your location, pray. This is VERY important! You will pray that God will place people in your path that will be needing to read about or hear the message of Salvation. Also, with this prayer, you can be confident that those willing to take your tract or talk with you have been placed in such place by God.
- Walk down the street and as you encounter people offer them a tract. I simply say “Would you like a Gospel tract?”
- No need to chase people down. And if they are busy with kids or on the phone, then let them tend to those tasks.
- Be ready to have conversations. Often, people sitting on a park bench are wanting to talk. You can ask them “Have you heard the message of Salvation before?” They may say “Oh yes, I am a Christian”. You might follow with “Have you been born again?” and quote John 3:5 “Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.“ Also quote other scripture verses and ask if they agree or disagree with the verse. This is also a good time to share your testimony, or a brief version of it.
- If someone is telling you about some hurts in their life or is sharing their struggles, offer to pray for them – generally they will accept and be very thankful.
- You are not the one that grants salvation – only God can do this. You are a messenger planting the seeds of the Gospel and the message of Salvation. These seeds may bear fruit in a short time or it may take years – it is God’s timing.
- As you distribute tracts and witness, keep in mind that God is in control. Do not be fearful. Pray, be willing, and let God direct. You do not have to be good at talking or interacting with strangers to do this. Also remember that your efforts are not in vain, for it says in Isaiah 55:11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.
- When you finish, pray for those you gave tracts to or spoke to.